- Climate-conscious Landscaping: In Los Angeles, where the weather is often sunny and warm, it's essential to choose the right plants and landscaping elements. Add some drought-tolerant plants that can thrive in the semi-arid climate. Consider incorporating shade-providing features like pergolas, umbrellas, or shade sails to make your backyard more comfortable during hot summer days.
- Add some accent color: Look at the walls that surround your backyard, garage wall, or a cement fence wall, and make it stand out. We painted one of our walls a bright blue color. It feels like you’re on vacation in your own backyard.
- Outdoor Seating and Lounging Areas: To enhance the comfort of your backyard, invest in quality outdoor seating and lounging furniture. Create distinct areas for dining, relaxation, and socializing with comfortable sofas, lounge chairs, and outdoor cushions. This will encourage your family and guests to spend more time outside and enjoy the pleasant evenings. Additionally, we added a fountain since we didn't have a pool. The sound of the water flowing is calming, and watching all the birds bathe in the fountain is a treat.
- Outdoor Cooking and Dining Facilities: Los Angeles is known for its outdoor lifestyle, and having a dedicated outdoor cooking and dining area can greatly increase the comfort and functionality of your backyard. Install a barbecue grill, a small outdoor kitchen, or a fire pit with seating around it. This will not only provide a cozy ambiance but also allow you to cook and entertain outdoors, making your backyard a perfect spot for gatherings and family meals.
- Privacy and Greenery: In a densely populated city like Los Angeles, creating a sense of privacy in your backyard is crucial. Consider adding tall hedges, trellises with climbing plants, or bamboo screens to block out neighboring views and create a secluded oasis. Lush greenery not only provides privacy but also enhances the overall comfort and tranquility of the space. For example, when we moved into our home almost 33 years ago, we planted Ficus Trees that now reach close to 30 feet in height, giving us complete privacy and a pleasant view.
- Revitalize Your Backyard: Jazz up your yard view with wind chimes, bird feeders, statues, and even outdoor art for the walls. We added all of these to our yard during our home stay and brought our backyard to life. We enjoy watching the hummingbirds and colorful, unusual wild birds visit our yard. It’s so relaxing in the early morning to see all the activity in our yard.
- Outdoor Lighting and Ambiance: Enhance your backyard's usability during the evening with suitable outdoor lighting. Incorporate soft, warm lighting for a cozy and inviting atmosphere. String lights, solar-powered lanterns, and pathway lights can add a magical touch while ensuring safety and functionality during nighttime gatherings. During COVID, we bought tiki lights and laser lights to make our backyard festive and vibrant at night, as we spent a lot of time hanging out there.
Remember that personalizing your backyard to match your preferences and lifestyle will ultimately make it a comfortable and enjoyable retreat for you and your family in the beautiful city of Los Angeles.